Who doesn’t love some good ol’ fashioned birthday cake?! This weekend we’re celebrating my sisters birthday, and she totally adores all things birthday cake flavour! She goes crazy over Tim Hortons Birthday Cake Timbits …If you haven’t tried them, I highly recommend in doing so!
Sweet, simple and fun! What a lot of people don’t know is that you actually use boxed cake mix to acquire the birthday cake flavour. This makes the recipe quite easy as half the job is already done for you! Mix in a few more ingredients while loading up on sprinkles, and there you have it… a perfect cross between soft baked cookies and funfetti cake! If you have young kids at home, be sure to try out the recipe. The vibrant colours in the sprinkles will please any eye!
This recipe comes from one of my absolute favourite baking bloggers – SallysBakingAddiction. I altered the recipe just a tad as I replaced the egg with sour cream, and did not add in any semi-sweet chocolate chips. Be sure to check her out! Hope you enjoy 🙂
Here’s What You’ll Need:
– 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
– 1 1/4 cup vanilla cake mix (I used Organic)
-1/2 tsp baking soda
– 3/4 cups room temperature unsalted butter
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
– 1 tbsp sour cream
– 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1 cup white chocolate chips
– 1/2 cup sprinkles
1. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/4 cups vanilla cake mix and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Whisking will remove any clumps in the ingredients.
2. In a stand mixer on medium speed, cream together 3/4 cups unsalted butter, 1/2 cup granulated and 1/2 cup brown sugar. This should take about 1 minute.
3. Once the butter is creamed, add in 1 tbsp sour cream and mix on high speed until combined fully.
4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combined.
5. Once again, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in your dry mixture in small portions. I did this in about 3 parts. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are fully combined.
6. Now for the fun part! Add in 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1/2 cup sprinkles. Mix on very low speed until these ingredients are evenly dispersed.
7. Remove the dough and place it on a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll up into a large ball and cover fully. Place the dough in the fridge and allow it to chill for 2 hours. Chilling is mandatory as it will prevent the cookies from spreading too much.
8. Once you reach the 2 hour mark, remove the dough from the fridge. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Begin scooping about 1.5 tbsp of dough onto the cookie sheet. Be sure to make the dough taller than it is wide (pictures below*). This will prevent the cookies from spreading and will allow them to retain that thick texture! Place in the oven and bake for 12-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Tip: Halfway through the baking process, I switched racks and gently pressed down on each cookie with a spoon. Don’t be alarmed if they appear very soft! The cookies will set as they cool.
9. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and cover with a tea towel. Allow them to cool completely for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy with a tall glass of milk, or add some frosting to compliment the birthday theme! 🙂
Be sure to follow me on social media ( Instagram ) to see pictures of everything I make, and subscribe to my blog via email! 🙂