Whether I’m at a fall carnival, or a social gathering, I can NEVER say no to caramel corn! The sweet and salty duo is one of my all time favourites. The soft crunch of the caramel paired with the light tasting popcorn is pretty close to perfect in my opinion!
Can you believe that caramel only requires 4 simple ingredients?! A lot of people are intimidated at the thought of making their own caramel. Don’t worry, I assure you it is far from difficult! The first time I ever made caramel, I got the recipe off of SallysBakingAddiction and it was to die for! The great thing about caramel is that you can make it ahead of time, and store it in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks!!
A lot of recipes call for air popped popcorn, but in this recipe I chose to use microwave popcorn as it was low in fat and trans fat free! Try to avoid using microwaveable bags that contain high contents of butter as this will make the popcorn appear moist and soft as opposed to light and crunchy. The aroma of the popcorn baking will leave your mouth watering and your house smelling amazing! 🙂
Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think! 🙂
Here’s What You’ll Need:
– 2 bags microwave popcorn (low fat)
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 6 tbsp salted butter
– 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
*Preheat the oven to 200 fahrenheit
1. Pop 2 bags of low fat microwave popcorn and spread across two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a small sauce pan, stir together 1 cup granulated sugar with a heat resistant spatula under medium heat. Continue stirring until the sugar begins to further caramelize and turn brown.
3. Cut the salted butter into 6-7 even pieces. Once the sugar has turned brown, quickly add in 6 tbsp of salted butter. You will notice that the caramel will begin to bubble quite rapidly. Stir for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Slowly begin to add in 1/2 cup cream while continuously stirring. Don’t be alarmed as the mixture will continue to bubble. Allow the mixture to boil for about 3-4 minutes on low-medium heat.
5. Once the time has elapsed, remove the caramel from the heat and quickly add in 1/2 tsp baking soda. Stir well and allow the caramel to sit for 1-2 minutes.
6. Bring the pot of caramel over to the baking sheets of popcorn. Slowly pour the caramel evenly over both sheets. With a baking spatula, gently fold the popcorn to assure even coating. Don’t worry if not every piece looks perfect as you will have ample time to coat the popcorn while it is baking.
7. Place both sheets on separate racks in the oven. Stir the popcorn in 20 minute intervals for a total of 1hr. This is where you can achieve an even coat on the popcorn as the warm caramel is a lot easier to work with! Be sure to switch racks in between to apply even baking. Once complete, remove the trays from the oven and allow them to sit for 10 minutes. Break apart any clusters if you would like!
Hope you enjoy!! 🙂
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my blog via email! 🙂